On average, people spend 1/3 of their entire lives at work – that’s about 90,000 hours! The aesthetic of your space and the health of your workplace culture directly impact the quality of life of your employees. Is your workplace sparking joy… or despair?
The health of a workplace and its employees can be impacted by big and small decisions. The reality is, we often spend a lot of time and energy on the big things that can be difficult to change, when small changes can go a long way to improve the overall enjoyment your employees will get from being in your workplace.
For example, a big change like changing the lighting of your building can be costly and difficult to implement. But, allowing employees to utilize lamps in their office is a small and effective way to create a more inviting space where your employees enjoy spending time.
With your team, answer these questions with a rating from 1-5, (1 being Not At All and 5 being Always):
- Do we have artwork in our employee spaces?
- Do we have visually appealing signage?
- Is our seating comfortable?
- Do we have ample seating?
- Is our lighting soft?
- Do people know about upcoming events?
- Is the temperature comfortable?
- Can people personalize their spaces with photos/artwork?
- Can we make procedural changes quickly/easily?
- Is our space safe?
- Are reminders easily visible throughout the workplace?
- Are there pleasant smells in our workplace?
- Are there appealing sounds in our workplace?
- Is there a simple, easy way to make announcements to the team?
- Are our employees engaged at their workstations?
- Do our employees feel a sense of belonging at work?
For any question you answered 3 or below, spend some time brainstorming ways you can improve that aspect of your workplace in small, accessible ways. Often, we’re blinded to the problems until we spend some time reflecting on the various elements, when change may be well within our power.
As a digital signage company, we’ve created one solution for businesses to help with the visual appeal, communication, and employee engagement. It’s a tool called Retriever, and it’s a simple-to-use, visually engaging digital signage solution ideal for both internal and external communication.
If you’re experiencing frustrations with some of the things on this list, we’d love to help you come up with some fresh ideas for sparking joy in your business, as well as help you figure out if Retriever is a good option for your team. Click here to schedule a free consult with an expert.
You can learn a little more about Retriever by watching this video: